- Large, easy-to-read, graphics LCD
- Pre-programmed velocities – Simply select from a list of common materials or enter your own with ease
- Smart Couple™ – Eliminates inadvertent decoupling – ideal for analyzing large areas using multiple passes
- Enhanced one-handed menu navigation
- Flashing display — ideal in a noisy environment
- RESET feature instantly restores factory settings
- Braided stainless steel cable and heavy-duty strain reliefs for demanding applications (PosiTector UTG CX only)
- Impact resistant lens
- Wear-resistant probe tip
- Shock-absorbing, protective rubber holster with belt clip
- Two year warranty on gage body AND probe
- Precision ultrasonic transducers provide fast, accurate readings
- Certificate of Calibration (Long Form) showing traceability to NIST included
- Conforms to national and international standards including ASTM E797
- Built-in temperature compensation ensures measurement accuracy
- High contrast LCD with backlit display
- Single or two point adjustment
- Inch/mm switchable
- Selectable display languages
- Flip display enables right-side-up viewing
- Extended cables available (up to 20 m/60 ft) for underwater or remote measuring
- Uses alkaline or rechargeable batteries (built-in charger)
- Min Scan mode—take continuous readings and record min/max thicknesses — ideal for quick inspection over a large area
- Statistics Mode continually displays/updates average, standard deviation, min/max thickness and number of readings while measuring
- HiLo alarm audibly and visibly alerts when measurements exceed user-specified limits
- Sealed USB Port for fast, simple connection to a PC and to supply continuous power. USB cable included
- Software Updates via web keep your gage current
- Screen Capture – record and save image into USB flash memory for record keeping and review
- Software Solutions for viewing, analyzing & reporting data
- Every stored measurement is date and time stamped
The PosiTector UTG arrives fully calibrated and ready to measure. A Long-Form Certificate of Calibration traceable to NIST is included, which documents actual readings taken by your instrument at our calibration laboratory on standards traceable to a national metrology institute. Beware of ‘Certificates’ or ‘Certificates of Conformance’ offered by competitors. These typically do not include actual instrument readings, and are often insufficient to meet common quality requirements.
Verification of gage calibration and accuracy can be performed with the accessory Certified Step Block. If necessary, the PosiTector UTG operator can easily perform a calibration adjustment to align the gage’s thickness readings to match that of a known reference sample.
Yes! The PosiTector UTG features several preprogrammed sound velocities for common materials. For best accuracy, make a simple adjustment to a known sample thickness of the material or quickly enter the material’s sound velocity into the gage. The PosiTector UTG can be adjusted to a broad range of sound velocities spanning from 0.0492 to 0.393 mils/µs (1250 to 10000 m/s).
Yes. The PosiTector UTG CLF probe was designed to measure attenuative materials such as cast metals including iron, aluminum and zinc.
The PosiTector UTG C (Corrosion) single echo probe uses a dual-element transducer, a focused “V-path”, and V-path compensation to accurately measure the thickness of metals with particularly heavy corrosion or pitting. The UTG C single echo probe will not ignore the thickness of the exterior coating: for best measurement accuracy, it may be necessary to remove any coating present at the point of measurement.
The PosiTector UTG M (Multi-echo) probe uses a single element transducer to accurately measure the metal thickness of a new or lightly corroded structure while ignoring the thickness of protective coatings. The ultrasonic beam travels in a straight path to the material’s back wall at 90° relative to the surface. When three consecutive back wall echoes are detected, the probe makes a time-based calculation to eliminate the coating thickness from the gage reading.
Yes, but coatings such as paint have a slower sound velocity than metal. This means that coating ‘appears’ much thicker to the instrument than it actually is, and can substantially affect the reading. Using Thru-Paint technology, the PosiTector UTG M and PosiTector UTG P probes disregard the exterior coating thickness on a painted metal structure and report only the metal thickness.
The PosiTector UTG C (Corrosion) is a proven solution for measuring the thickness of metal structures with pitting and/or moderate-to-severe corrosion on the back wall.
PosiTector UTG CA / UTGC – dual element, single-echo probe ideal for measuring severely corroded/eroded materials. PosiTector UTG CA models feature a built-in probe, while PosiTector UTG C models feature a probe mounted on a 1m (3ft) cable.
PosiTector UTG CX – same specifications as UTG C above, but includes a braided stainless steel cable jacket and reinforced strain reliefs for protection in demanding environments.
PosiTector UTG CLF – dual element, single-echo probe designed for measuring thick and/or attenuative materials such as cast iron.
PosiTector UTG M – single element, multiple-echo probe features Thru-Paint capability designed to quickly and accurately measure the metal thickness of a painted structure without having to remove the coating.
PosiTector UTG P – single element probe with automatic multiple-echo or single-echo mode depending on material type and thickness, can be used for Thru-Paint applications. Ideal for high-resolution measurements on thin plastics and metals.